Night of Museums 2017 takes place on Saturday, 20th of May
12. May 2017
On Saturday, 20th of May 2017, Estonian museums will open their doors for visitors for a night full of special events and exhibitions, celebrating the Night of Museums in Estonia for the 9th year running. In 2017, the much-loved Museum Night will take place under an umbrella theme of Games in the Night - or, in Estonian, Öös on mänge.
Since a wide variety of museums and other cultural organizations participate in the special programme, the Night of Museums makes it possible to discover a wide variety of outlooks on the topic of games and playing. Why do people play games? Why is playing fun? What kind of games have been played in Estonia at different times and what kind of games have travelled across time and history? Do animals and birds play games and why? Can we teach robots to play games and can artificial intelligence enjoy playing? What are the most famous board games of all times? What types of play exist? Why do we like word play so much? How will we play tomorrow?
According to Laura Kipper, one of the main organisers of the big museum event, there are more and more tourists visiting Museum Night events across Estonia. "Visitors from Finland, Latvia and Russia have definitely discovered our Museum Night and our museums are recognising this as well, trying to provide more English tours and events during the night – or to make sure the event can be enjoyed to the full regardless of what language you speak."
For tourists staying in Tallinn centre, the programme of the Museum Night is always just a few steps away: most of Tallinn centre museums are participating in the programme. "Ask your hotel reception for advice – they will be able to point you to the nearest participating museum, and there will be Museum Night programmes available at most museums," adds Laura Kipper.
The museums participating in the programme will open their doors from 6pm to 11pm, the Estonian Museum of Natural History is open from 6pm to 12pm, and during this time the entrance will be free – in previous years the number of participating museums has been close to 200 - for 2017, the special programmes and the final museum list will be public by April 10th. Every year the participating number of archives, galleries, churches and other organizations who deal with knowledge, history and memory, has grown.
The Night of Museums is organized by Estonian museums and the Estonian Museum Association.
- 01. March 2018 Exhibition „The Secrets of Ancient Sea“ will be open until autumn
- 19. February 2018 Estonian Museum of Natural History is open on 24 February
- 14. February 2018 Estonian Museum of Natural History opens an exhibition presenting the love locks of butterflies
- 02. January 2018 2017 brought record-breaking number of visitors to the Estonian Museum of Natural History
- 04. December 2017 Museum opening times in December
- 15. September 2017 The Estonian Museum of Natural History displays 150 species of mushrooms
- 21. July 2017 The virtual reality experience of the Estonian Museum of Natural History invites you to meet ancient creatures
- 12. June 2017 Estonian Museum of Natural History is closed on 23 and 24 June
- 25. May 2017 New exhibition "What if..." tells a colorful story about sea creatures
- 12. May 2017 Night of Museums 2017 takes place on Saturday, 20th of May
- 03. April 2017 Estonian Museum of Natural History is open on 14, 15 and 16 April
- 20. January 2017 Estonian Museum of Natural History exhibition awakens the primitive sea creatures digitally
- 13. December 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is closed on 24, 25 and 26 December and 1 January
- 08. December 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is reserved on 11 December
- 22. November 2016 Exhibition „Animals on the road“ introduces footprints on the ground and in the folklore
- 17. August 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is open on 20 August
- 16. August 2016 Photo exhibition “Discover the Earth” introduces nearly 500 million years old microfossils
- 22. June 2016 The Estonian Museum of Natural History opens a display introducing oil shale
- 15. June 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is closed on 23 and 24 June
- 27. April 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is open on 1 and 15 May
- 26. April 2016 Visit the Estonian Museum of Natural History for free this Friday
- 06. April 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History brakes myths at the Estonian biggest lichen and moss exhibition
- 23. March 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is open on the holiday weekend
- 18. March 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History opened a new interactive geological exhibition
- 29. October 2015 The Animal of the Year of Estonia and Latvia at the Museum of Natural History
- 22. September 2015 Night Flyers