Exhibition „The Secrets of Ancient Sea“ will be open until autumn
01. March 2018
Thanks to great interest of the museum visitors, the exhibition “The Secrets of Ancient Sea” will be open until the end of September. Last year the exhibition brought record-breaking amount of visitors to the Estonian Museum of Natural History.
“We are very glad that the exhibition has been welcomed so well by the museum visitors. It’s great to see that we have found an attractive way to introduce geology and we were able to bring fossils to life,” says one of the curators Sander Olo.
“Without a doubt a big part of the exhibition is carried out by video installations and the decision to do so proved itself,” says Olo. “We had about 7000 visitors with the first opening month and that was a record for us. It also inspired us to take a step further and so we created the virtual reality movie to go with the exhibition. Today we can say that about 70 000 museum visitors have seen the exhibition and because of that record-breaking interest we decided to showcase the exhibition longer than originally planned,” says Sander Olo.
The exhibition and virtual reality movie "The Secrets of Ancient Sea" invites you to partake in a journey through time covering half a billion years to the present in the Estonian seabed, showcasing the movement of Estonian areas, the plants and animals that have lived here and changes in climate.
The exhibition is opened until 30 September 2018.
- 14. February 2018 Estonian Museum of Natural History opens an exhibition presenting the love locks of butterflies
- 02. January 2018 2017 brought record-breaking number of visitors to the Estonian Museum of Natural History
- 04. December 2017 Museum opening times in December
- 15. September 2017 The Estonian Museum of Natural History displays 150 species of mushrooms
- 21. July 2017 The virtual reality experience of the Estonian Museum of Natural History invites you to meet ancient creatures
- 12. June 2017 Estonian Museum of Natural History is closed on 23 and 24 June
- 25. May 2017 New exhibition "What if..." tells a colorful story about sea creatures
- 12. May 2017 Night of Museums 2017 takes place on Saturday, 20th of May
- 03. April 2017 Estonian Museum of Natural History is open on 14, 15 and 16 April
- 20. January 2017 Estonian Museum of Natural History exhibition awakens the primitive sea creatures digitally
- 13. December 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is closed on 24, 25 and 26 December and 1 January
- 08. December 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is reserved on 11 December
- 22. November 2016 Exhibition „Animals on the road“ introduces footprints on the ground and in the folklore
- 17. August 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is open on 20 August
- 16. August 2016 Photo exhibition “Discover the Earth” introduces nearly 500 million years old microfossils
- 22. June 2016 The Estonian Museum of Natural History opens a display introducing oil shale
- 15. June 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is closed on 23 and 24 June
- 27. April 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is open on 1 and 15 May
- 26. April 2016 Visit the Estonian Museum of Natural History for free this Friday
- 06. April 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History brakes myths at the Estonian biggest lichen and moss exhibition
- 23. March 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is open on the holiday weekend
- 18. March 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History opened a new interactive geological exhibition
- 29. October 2015 The Animal of the Year of Estonia and Latvia at the Museum of Natural History
- 22. September 2015 Night Flyers