Estonian Museum of Natural History brakes myths at the Estonian biggest lichen and moss exhibition
06. April 2016
On April 7 the Estonian Museum of Natural History opens an exhibition „The Bold and the Beautiful. Starred by: lichen and moss“. The new exhibition introduces the extraordinary endurance and the often underestimates value to ecosystem and to people that lichen and moss have.
The main focus of the exhibition is on the unusual strength of the lichens and mosses. “Lichens and mosses have habited the Earth for more than 450 million years, they can stand up to extreme temperature and freezing, burning heath and strong sunlight and complete drying out,” says one of the curators, Marja-Liisa Kämärä. “These extraordinary creatures can even survive in the outer space!”
The exhibition gives a thorough overview of the nature, habitat, way of life and importance to the ecosystem that lichens and mosses have. Even more, the exhibition takes a look at the fields where lichens and mosses can be used to serve peoples interest, like pharmacy, cooking and art. “Lichens are very good indicators of clean air,” brings Kämärä out. “They are responsive to air pollution and that’s why we do not see them in city’s much,” she adds.
“With the exhibition we hope to brake many myths,” the curators Marja-Liisa Kämärä and Loore Ehrlich say. “People often think that lichens and mosses are annoying, they are compared to weeds,” says Ehrlich. “But actually lichens and mosses have been used in very different ways throughout history. For instance in curing health problems and parfume making,” she adds.
„The Bold and the Beautiful. Starred by: lichen and moss“ is the biggest and most thorough exhibition to introduce lichens, that has been held in Estonia. There are many interactivities in the exhibition hall: visitors can look at lichen’s structure under a microscope, get to know colorful lichens across the world, see, what happens to lichens under a UV-light, and much more. The ones feeling tired can take a break and lay down on a real moss-bed.
- 02. January 2018 2017 brought record-breaking number of visitors to the Estonian Museum of Natural History
- 04. December 2017 Museum opening times in December
- 15. September 2017 The Estonian Museum of Natural History displays 150 species of mushrooms
- 21. July 2017 The virtual reality experience of the Estonian Museum of Natural History invites you to meet ancient creatures
- 12. June 2017 Estonian Museum of Natural History is closed on 23 and 24 June
- 25. May 2017 New exhibition "What if..." tells a colorful story about sea creatures
- 12. May 2017 Night of Museums 2017 takes place on Saturday, 20th of May
- 03. April 2017 Estonian Museum of Natural History is open on 14, 15 and 16 April
- 20. January 2017 Estonian Museum of Natural History exhibition awakens the primitive sea creatures digitally
- 13. December 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is closed on 24, 25 and 26 December and 1 January
- 08. December 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is reserved on 11 December
- 22. November 2016 Exhibition „Animals on the road“ introduces footprints on the ground and in the folklore
- 17. August 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is open on 20 August
- 16. August 2016 Photo exhibition “Discover the Earth” introduces nearly 500 million years old microfossils
- 22. June 2016 The Estonian Museum of Natural History opens a display introducing oil shale
- 15. June 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is closed on 23 and 24 June
- 27. April 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is open on 1 and 15 May
- 26. April 2016 Visit the Estonian Museum of Natural History for free this Friday
- 06. April 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History brakes myths at the Estonian biggest lichen and moss exhibition
- 23. March 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History is open on the holiday weekend
- 18. March 2016 Estonian Museum of Natural History opened a new interactive geological exhibition
- 29. October 2015 The Animal of the Year of Estonia and Latvia at the Museum of Natural History
- 22. September 2015 Night Flyers